Friday 20 October 2017

Karma Police - Addendum

I gave Karma a prod in my last post and bemoaned the consequences, but it turns out my little stash of validity has been looking after itself very well thank you, while my confidence has taken a dive.

Not long after sending my email withdrawing from the application process, I received an email from the prospective employer seeking a meeting to make sure there were no misunderstandings about the nature of the role that might have wrongly influenced my decision.  I considered replying to say I couldn't attend, but remembered another occasion when I had been asked back for a meeting and the outcome had been surprisingly positive.  I had enjoyed much of the experience yesterday, despite the pressure associated with the tasks and interviews - the staff were all lovely and I saw many familiar faces, so I thought I owed an explanation at least.  So I agreed to a meeting.

I don't know quite what I was expecting to hear, but the genuine warmth and understanding with which I was greeted was entirely unexpected, as was the fact that this person had clearly read my application in detail and had understood how my Asperger's actually enhances my ability in many ways.  They also seemed to appreciate my enthusiasm for learning and capacity for retaining factual knowledge, and even recognised it's value, and respected my honesty and openness in talking about my limitations and difficulties.  It also turns out that the hours for this role will allow me to keep up my commitments to a student group I run at my present school, which had been of some concern to me.

I have the weekend to mull things over, but I feel I have been handed a polite and eloquently worded invitation, and I am inclined to accept.


At Glastonbury this year, Karma Police was the last song played in Radiohead's set.  Even after they had left the stage the huge crowd continued to sing chorus after chorus...
"Phew, for a minute there,
I lost myself,
For a minute there,
I lost myself..."

No comments: